Retirement is not the end of the road...it is the beginning of an open highway. -Author Unknown
There are definite benefits to having an identity in life. By knowing your identity, you are better able to accomplish your goals, whatever they may be. This is especially true during your retirement years. By knowing who you are and what you want to accomplish in life, you'll gain a sense of confidence and pride, and your life will have precise meaning. You won't feel as though you are living an unfulfilled life. Let''s discuss a few ways to discover your new identity.
10 Action Items For A Great Retirement
1. Do something productive. People today retire at about 57.5 years and have likely worked for 35-plus years, and can expect to live to about age 85 or older. So you will, in essence, spend 30-40 years in retirement. That's nearly one-third of your life! Therefore, it is paramount that you do something that you enjoy and that makes you happy.
2. Consider retirement as a commencement. What is your concept of retirement? Hopefully, you'll see it as a new beginning -- a time to grow. Remember, the end of one thing is the beginning of another. You could use this time to learn a new language, travel to foreign lands, take a new course, or start a new business. By using your new-found time to make your dreams come true, you can truly find your new identity.
3. Continuing to work. Yes, it is true, you may have retired. But you aren't dead. You can still work a full-time or part-time job, or pursue volunteer activities. Either way, the possibilities are endless. The benefits range from keeping yourself busy to earning some extra cash.
4. Remain active. By remaining active, you can take control of your physical health and emotional well-being. After all, a healthy body facilitates a healthy mind. Consider joining a yoga class, martial arts or a class pertaining to whatever interests you. This will help you physically and socially.
5. Find new goals. This is the time to find new goals or rekindle old ones. No that you have time on your hands, try to fulfill your dreams. Decide what you want to accomplish and do it!
6. Join a worthy cause. By committing yourself to helping others, you can find your identity in retirement. Not only will this make the world a better place, but it will give you immense pride and a feeling of inner accomplishment.
7. Cultivate a hobby. By pursuing a hobby, you'll be able to do something that makes you feel good. Perhaps you've always wanted to be a crafter. Well, now is the time to make jewelry and other trinkets that you can give away or, better yet, sell for a profit!
8. Maintain a youthful attitude. Just because you are retired does not mean you have to act like you're retired! Go bungee jumping, rock climbing, ice skating, skiing, or simply travel. By acting like you feel, you'll maintain a youthful attitude.
9. Maintain a positive attitude. By remaining energetic and having a better understanding of what you want out of life, you can find your new identity. Spread your joy and happiness to others.
10. Just refuse to fade away! Take control over your life and realize that you are here for the long haul. Although you may be retired, this is the "beginning, not the end" and you can accomplish all of your personal and professional goals by having faith and perseverance, and by making your dreams a reality. You can be your own "personal best" -- retired or not!
In conclusion, retirement is not the end, but the beginning. You can find purpose and meaning in your life. By refusing to fade away, maintaining a positive attitude, maintaining a youthful attitude, cultivating a hobby, joining a worthy cause, finding new goals, remaining active, continuing to work, changing your attitude, and being productive, you can retire successfully. You are entirely up to you...
You Need A Plan
A goal of retiring - without a plan to get there - is simply a plan to never retire. Retirement isn't some magical age. It's a dollar amount. If you're age 50 or over and still in the accumulation phase (pre-retirement) we can help you figure out where you need to go and how to get there. If you are retired or nearing retirement, we can create a plan which will outpace inflation and possibly leave a legacy to your family. The consultation is free and without obligation. Contact us to set up a consultation.
For more articles about retirement planning and investing, click here.
Thanks for reading!
80/20 Financial Services is an independent Registered Investment Advisory Firm. We help clients age 50 and over plan their retirement income and investment strategies. Contact us today for help with your retirement needs.